The Waste Hierarchy
The Waste Hierarchy is a model for sustainable waste management that encourages consideration not just of the disposal and management of waste, but of how and why it was created in the first place. It categorises and prioritises the various options for dealing with waste, into a simple five-step hierarchy of waste management options:
Our goal is help you implement policies, practices and methodologies that will elevate as much waste as possible UP the waste hierarchy! We take a ZERO LANDFILL approach, and typically increase recycling rates for every customer within the first 12-month period.
- Waste prevention – by far the most effective way to reduce your waste bill
- Reuse, repair and refurbish
- Recycle waste into useful materials
- Recovery – converting waste material into useable heat, electricity or fuel
- Disposal such as landfill or incineration without recovery – the last resort.